STRIKE UP THE BRAND


I am a Libra; a writer; an ostomate; a hat person; a cat person; a dog lover; an adventurer; a film fanatic; a theatre goer; a moderate; a Southerner; a homeowner; a sailor; and a grande cafĂ© mocha, no whip. We all have our labels that define us and make up our personality. It’s who we are and what we are all about.

Lately I’ve been encouraged to think of myself in terms of a brand these days by my publicist. So now, not only am I just Tracy Lea Carnes; I’m Tracy Lea Carnes, author, playwright, humorist and speaker. I’m a product now with something to sell – me. Well, sort of.

You can’t buy me on ebay; trade me on the open market; or purchase me in bulk at Costco or Sam’s Club. But you can purchase my book on amazon.com; buy a ticket to my original stage play; or hire me to speak at your convention. I’m not just a person any more – I actually am a product. That means being the best Tracy Lea Carnes I can be!


So I got to thinking about that in today’s atmosphere of people as actual brands – Britney Spears is a product – she is her music; Donald Trump is a product – he is his own building; Paris Hilton is a product – she is her own party; and Betty Crocker – Well, she is her own cake. One little misstep and you can tarnish your product. Just look at Michael Phelps.


You may not think of yourself as a product but in actuality, you are. Whether you like it or not, we’re all brands and products. You sell your services to your employer; you run for PTA president; you are the head of your family; a baton twirler in the marching band – whatever. That means putting your best self forward above and beyond just your simple label of nurse; majorette; copy clerk; waitress; CEO; teacher; mother; daughter; father; son; athlete; poker player; master carpenter; venti low fat caramel macchiato… You are your own brand!

1 comment:

  1. Such a great and truthful post! It's something every blogger should read.

    ReplyDelete